Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hot Pot Idea for Mum and Kids

Bul Go Gi Hot Pot by Bellalean

I love spicy food. I love spices. But, I cannot enjoy them with my kids. It's a tragic. Because I don't have enough time to cook separate foods for me and my kids at the same time. My second one eats solids so she does not worry me when it comes to selecting menu for dinner. My first one, this one is very cheeky, still refuses to try anything a little spicy. If I want to have any spicy food then I make the food and scoop out my portion and add spicy herbs. This makes the range of food selection very niche. 


The one I like to share with you today is originally not spicy at all. If you want to add fresh chilies or  chilly powder at the end of cooking process it's entirely up to you. But it is also very nice as it is without the heat.
It's called Bul Go Gi Jeon Gol. (Jeon Gol means hot pot) 
If you are a big fan of Bul Go Gi, this one is worth a try. It goes well with rice or Udon noodle too. Usually, Korean food comes with rice and lots of side dishes. But with this, you only need to serve the hot pot and boiled rice. If you want to have it as a noodle soup then just add Udon noodle towards the end of the cooking process.

I try to pay attention to balanced diet for my kids. Often, kids won't eat veges or fruits. Feeding them veges require a bit of tactic and strategy. Here is my solution for feeding veges and meat at the same time - my first one doesn't like meat either. 

I often show my kid what I put into the pot. She shows a little bit of interest when I do this. But not for long though. She tends to eat better and more when she gets interested in the cooking process. Today, she finished her bowl of rice!!! 

Note: If you follow the below recipe, you will find that 100g of radish and 150ml of water are preserved for another dish ready to cook tomorrow. If you want to only make Bul Go Gi Jeon Gol, Just use 100g and 950ml of water.
Mission Accomplished!!!


Bul Go Gi HOT POT

Serves 4 (Two adults and two kids)

Ingredients

500g   Pre-marinated Bul Go Gi
135g    zucchini
60g     carrot
150g   Chinese cabbage
1/4      Brown onion
1/4      Spanish onion
200g   Korean Radish
2 TBS chopped shallot
24g      crown daisy
1.1 litre  water

Broth

handful of dried anchovies (approx. 20 fish)
dried kelp (you only need about the size of you fist)
shallot (use the white portion close to the root)

Note: You can buy pre-marinated Bul Go Gi at a Korean grocery store or butcher. Otherwise, you will have to either buy the Bul Go Gi sauce or make it from scratch. It's relatively easy but time consuming. 

If you are not sure what crown daisy looks like, see this picture and find it at a Chinese or Korean grocery shop.










How to Cook



1. Prepare your broth first. In a shallow pot, put the dried anchovies, dried kelp, shallot and 150g of radish (preserve 50g for later) and water. Close the lid and boil the broth on high heat. Once it starts to boil, reduce the gas to moderate. Let it simmer for at least 20 minutes.
By Bellalean







2. while the broth is getting ready, chop the veges like shown in the picture. 
 You don't need to shape the veges like mine. I only did it to make my kids happy. They get more friendly with shaped veges.




3. After 20 minutes, pick out the kelp and dried anchovies. Put aside the cooked radish and a little bit of the stock for tomorrow's dish (will see what tomorrow). 



4. Season with pepper and salt to your taste.

5. Serve with cooked rice.










Bul Go Gu Hot Pot By Bellalean


Note: If you want to make it a noodle soup, then put the fresh Udon noodle when you boil the meat and veges in step 4.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment