Monday, March 12, 2012

Kid’s favourite Cooking Video Clips

I came across by searching cake making long time ago. Recently, I have visited my friend’s house, and her kids and I were playing with my iPhone. They asked me to play Howdini. At first I wasn’t sure what it was but soon I realised that it was the video clip I found at Youtube on cake making. Yes, I was very inspired by the ideas, especially, I know that the look of the cakes they make would surely fascinate kids. But it was very surprising to see kids were actually interested in watching this. They don’t get to actually make such cakes at home but why do they like watching it? For adults, especially mums would watch it since they want to make such cakes. But why do kids like just watching it?

My kids also love being involved in cooking. They are far too young to give me a hand, rather they cause mischief in the kitchen throwing everything everywhere. But I want them to be involved sometimes. It’s very educational for them to learn what is healthy and how can they make healthy food. They show a lot of interest in food when they are actually involved in the making process.



I ask my kids what they want to eat and they choose what vegies they want to put in. Of course, this is not always success because they are cheeky sometimes by saying, “Mum it looks awesome but I am too full to eat it.” But most of the time, they will show more interest towards if they are in the process of making.

For cakes, I am a little cautious since it has too much sugar content. It’s very hard for my kids to absolutely avoid it but at least, they know how to moderately control their temptation. I know some parents are very strict on what to eat and what to avoid. But even I sometimes like a piece of chocolate, some cakes or biscuits. It would be a lie if I tell my children not to eat any of those just because they are bad for their health. How can you all avoid something bad in our busy everyday life? I’d rather teach my kids how to control their temptation and to eat in moderation.

But it’s still very tough to make the young ones understand why eating too much sugar is bad. I try to bake cakes with less sugar content and try to add healthy stuff in them such as blueberries, carrots, rice flour etc. I get ideas from such video clips like Howdini and try to substitue the food colourings or even the icing. I guess it doesn’t take much to impress kids when it comes to baking. In fact, they often get fascinated by the idea of putting the “play-dough” (of course the flour dough I mean. Do not bake kids’ play dough!!!) into an oven and get a loaf of bread.

Here is some video clips of HOWDINI. Get inspired and enjoy baking with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment